[MUD-Dev] Re: Modular MUD [Was:Finer points of Telnet programming ...]

Jynx {Wyrm / Tygr / Myth} Ryn jynx_ryn at mindless.com
Mon Aug 24 16:51:34 CEST 1998

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> I've thought about doing something like this... I have this hairbrained
> idea of a modular MUD, where the internal networking code is in one module
> and everything else hooks into it from external plugins. So the question of

Modular MUD, eh? Well, from my past experience, MUDs are all
modular, having
such things as zone/room/mobile files and the like, but I'd
love to see the
design for your version. Because of my experience as a
hacker/gamer, my one
complaint with most comercial games is that they aren't
easily hac ... I mean,
customized. Yeah ... that's the ticket. I always wanted to
add more stuff to
games like Warcraft and the such, so I always found myself
saying, "This would
kick ass if it was MODULAR!" Well ... having the capability
to add plug-in-races/
classes/clans/etc. would make MUD development much easier,
just like adding
scripting into a MUD does. I wonder ....

> it. I've decided Windows 9x is what most of the people who want to start a
> small cheesy MUD are running at the house, so when I build the server for
> "Small Cheesy MUD 1.0" it probably ought to run under Windows 9x. If it
> becomes a problem, then I'll balance platform changes against feature
> modification. Feature modification will probably win.

I would say something here, but it's much better suited for
an OS newsgroup,
so I won't.

- Jynx Ryn
- The Complex Man With a Simple Signiture.
 --
 MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.