[MUD-Dev] Re: Standard Mud Room Format?

Matthew R. Sheahan chaos at crystal.palace.net
Thu Aug 20 12:15:03 CEST 1998

Holly Sommer propagated a meme to the effect of:
> Diversity is a good thing... it lets us express ourselves exactly as we
> intend to... but it also makes it difficult to express our own
> colloquialisms in someone else's vernacular.

diversity is a defense mechanism.  just as genetic differentiation prevents
a disease that wipes out one community from doing the same to every other
community of that species, language and cultural barriers prevent memetic
infections that ravage one community from doing the same to all.

by extension, localized construction paradigma, quality standards, and
thematic visions prevent McStockCode from overrunning every MUD in the
world, despite all efforts at making it portable (i.e. infectious).

								chiaroscuro