[MUD-Dev] Re: Yet another update on threads and signals

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sat Aug 15 15:21:03 CEST 1998

On Sat, Aug 15, 1998 at 09:31:06AM -0600, Chris Gray wrote:
>  >This is basically what I'm doing, except that the distributor doesn't get
>  >"Player Leaving Room X" messages; it just gets "Player Entering Room Y"; it
>  >also picks up "Room X is empty and shutting down" messages.  If a player
>  >wants to enter Room Y, and there's no one in there, the distributor creates
>  >the Room Y process.
> [Lots more details snipped]
> OK, sounds good then. The key thing is that there is no need to have
> any signals of any kind, which it sounded like you were thinking you
> needed. If every room is also listening on its socket to the
> distributer, then an arriving player wakes it up that way.

But then, don't I need one port per process?  There's no way for me to
telnet to port 5019 in process 2231, for example.  So do I need to hand out
a random port number in some range to each process?

The signals avoided having to have an arbitrary number of numbered ports
open; I'm not sure which is the lesser evil.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman