[MUD-Dev] Re: Yet another update on threads and signals

Sat Aug 15 09:31:06 CEST 1998

[Adam J. Thornton:]

 >This is basically what I'm doing, except that the distributor doesn't get
 >"Player Leaving Room X" messages; it just gets "Player Entering Room Y"; it
 >also picks up "Room X is empty and shutting down" messages.  If a player
 >wants to enter Room Y, and there's no one in there, the distributor creates
 >the Room Y process.

[Lots more details snipped]

OK, sounds good then. The key thing is that there is no need to have
any signals of any kind, which it sounded like you were thinking you
needed. If every room is also listening on its socket to the
distributer, then an arriving player wakes it up that way.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA