[MUD-Dev] Re: [CODE] [LANGUAGE/PLATFORM SPECIFIC] My Event Engine

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at snugharbor.com
Wed Aug 12 15:42:45 CEST 1998

In message:  <199808120323.VAA04105 at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>
             Chris Gray <cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> writes:

>The bright side is that using 'poll' doesn't really help unless you
>are multithreaded (which I'm not), since you always have to wait for
>input from any of your open client sockets.

Err, no.  One of the points of the thread that followed was that
you _don't_ have to wait for them all all the time; if you partition
your sockets in 'active' and 'idle' groups, you can save work by
checking just the 'active' group most of the time, and only checking
the 'idle' group every now and then.

Done properly, this can significantly reduce your load, without
inducing more than a second extra delay in handling a re-awakening
idle socket.

- Alex