[MUD-Dev] Re: async i/o and threads (was: Re: lurker emerges

James Wilson jwilson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Aug 11 00:13:05 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon A. Lambert <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 11:56 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: async i/o and threads (was: Re: lurker emerges

> What is the mingw32 system?

MINimal GNU Win32. It's a cutdown of the whole GnuWin32 package,
which is hefty and bloated and evil, but to my mind far preferable to
borland, msvc++, etc. I spit on their crappy IDEs, ptui!
mingw32:
<url http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html>
gnuwin32:
<url http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/>

> > I'm a bit concerned about the overhead of using a thread pool, though,
since
> > my two
> > target platforms (win32 and linux) use heavyweight threads. Has anyone
tried
> > a bytecode vm that implements user-level threads, setting up a scheduler
> > that timeslices between 'processes', switches context on blocking i/o,
and
> > so on? Maybe this could give you lightweight, portable threading while
> > keeping the whole process in a single thread? I'm imagining something
where
> > the main thread is either chomping bytecode or checking for io-ready
> > sockets.
>
> Aye .  I believe MUQ does exactly this.  Many of the programable
> servers impose execution limits on internal tasks (i.e. Cold, LP)

hmmm... this sounds promising. I'll poke around and see what I can find.
can anyone comment on the pros and cons of such an approach?

man, this Outlook Express mailer is junk. look how ragged my linebreaks are.
*blush* once I get mail working with linux, I'm switching to pine or
something...

James