[MUD-Dev] Re: lurker emerges

Petri Virkkula pvirkkul at iki.fi
Mon Aug 10 08:57:19 CEST 1998

>>>>> "Alex" == T Alexander Popiel <popiel at snugharbor.com> writes:

Alex> You seem to assume that it is impossible for a single thread to keep
Alex> even one I/O device continuously busy.  Whatever happened to double-
Alex> buffering and non-blocking I/O?  Has that art actually been lost in
Alex> the annals of time?

	As far as I know O_NONBLOCK/O_NDELAY on regular files only
	prevents blocking on mandatory locks. Atleast that's how I
	interpret Solaris's manual page, and my test program indicates
	so too. How can double-buffering be done without non-blocking
	I/O?

	However you are probably right, one thread per physical device
	is enough. Doubling thread count was just a guess.

	Petri