[MUD-Dev] Re: Ethernet NICS, maximum connections..mud testing.

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Sun Aug 9 15:07:45 CEST 1998

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Ben Greear:]
>
>  >Check my web page (see .sig at bottom).  Its on the Downloads link.
>
> Got it, thanks.
>
> [My complaining about unknown delays in sockets on Linux.]
>
>  >Not that I know of.  You do know that select sleeps if there is
>  >nothing available right?  Other than that, I don't know enough
>  >about your code to make a better guess.
>
> Yes. I use that delay as the pacer in the whole system. I also check to
> see if the actual delay is much greater than the requested delay. I
> see occasionally it being 2/100 sec greater, usually when I'm doing
> something else on the system at the same time. Quite reasonable.
>
>  >How big are the packets you send between client and server?
>
> They vary. There is a fixed header of 12 bytes, optionally followed
> by other data, perhaps upto 1 or 2K in the extreme. Most will be
> quite short during the 'build the world' phase, which is where my
> concern is.

The larger the packet, the more efficient it will be (generally),
up to around 8k.  A bunch of small packets could eat you alive!

Might want to consider packing several requets/messages into a larger
buffer before writing to the socket.

>  >Are you running between two machines?  If so, try to benchmark it
>  >against bulk transfer (ftp).
>
> No - they are all local on one machine.
>
> --
> Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
>
> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html