[MUD-Dev] Re: [IDEAS] Starting from scratch

Ross Nicoll rnicoll at calmar-mud.com
Thu Aug 6 15:35:30 CEST 1998

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote in a Mail about "[MUD-Dev] Re: [IDEAS]
Starting from scratch":

>>2. I would like to be able to attach muds to the server as nodes. To be
>>honest, this was an idea that sounded cool, but I figure that there
>>would be
>>more control gained this way. If the node were to crash/reboot then
>>connections would be kept and added to a queue for when the mud
>>restarts.
 > So the player gets "the game is down, please wait" ?
Reminds me of a thought I had for my MUD. The MUD, whenever we change anything
in the code (it's a Diku style MUD, most of the stuff is in code), obviously
has to go through a reboot. I was wandering about having the data for
connections written out with the database (with sanity checking on load, of
course, incase something goes wrong after the database is saved), then have
the server load the new binary over itself with one of the exec() functions.

The player would get "The server is rebooting, please wait" or similar...

... "I have just one word for you, my boy...plastics."
... - from "The Graduate"