[MUD-Dev] Re: There can be.. only ONE! (fwd)

Matt Chatterley matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Thu Apr 30 12:51:45 CEST 1998

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:12:44 +0000 (GMT)
> Matt Chatterley<matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 08:11:53 PST8PDT Matt
>
> >> cf The Running Man.
>
> > Strangely, I was going to mention this in my previous post. This is
> > the model I am now working towards. I always thought that film would
> > have been more fun if they hadn't tied in the resistance/hero crap,
> > and had just played out the game to the more 'normal' conclusion (or
> > even to the team being the first ever to 'win').
>
> They had the (dis)advantage of basing the film on a prior book.

Wasn't aware of that. Shame. The book worth finding?

[Snip]

> > Also worth mentioning that I may make points 'rating based', having
> > things which make a kill 'aesthetically pleasing' and thus worth
> > more.
>
> Hurm.  I recall a driving game I saw a mate palying at Sun where the
> game would award you points for particularly clever maneuvers.  I seem
> to recall that the double barrel-roll off the top of one building with
> a flat spin landing (while squishing some large number of pedestrians)
> on the road below got me some large number of points.  There was
> actually more fun in that game finding imaginative and peculiar ways
> to torque the car than there was in actually playing the game...

Yeah, there are a number of games like this; for instance snow-boarding
games whereby part of the point is performing stunts as you race. I
*really* like this. Running about blowing stuff up is fun. Knowing you
have 10 points per kill, so you have 100 points.. is a bit dull. Being
awarded 'bonus points' for mass destruction, stylish surgical hits, and so
forth.. could be very entertaining. Taking risks to pull off fancy setups,
and so on..

> >> My tendency would be for the global score board etc to list
> >> "names", but for individual characters in-game to not resolve back
> >> to their "names" except for team-mates.
>
> > Yeah. *ponder*
>
> Anything else sets individuals up as targets.

*agreement*

Which leaves me at having a 'name' for the login, but which does not
necessarily connect to characters. I think I'll move 'persistant
communication' (bulletin boards etc) to a pre-character login state
(account), after which you can choose a name to play under. Hmm.

--
Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.