[MUD-Dev] Re: Java for Mud Client (Crossfire MUD topic)

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Apr 29 17:08:12 CEST 1998

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:18:03 -0400 (EDT)
s001gmu <s001gmu at nova.wright.edu> wrote:

> As for an answer to the original question, well, I haven't really
> investigated the options for a client program yet.  Java applets
> under netscape are a possibility, but what my design team and I have
> discussed so far leads me to believe we would run into the very same
> problem.  :) I was leaning towards a standalone java application,
> but the previous discussion about Crossfire has caused me to
> re-think that.  I haven't abandonded it yet, but it has caused me to
> think about it some more.

In addition to looking at the Crossfire client (which I really need to
do), I'd also strongly recommend looking at Stephen White's Java
MUD/client system:

  <URL:http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~sfwhite/VNet.html>

Stephen White is of course the original programmer of MOO (before
LambdaMOO), and author of COOLMud, which is quite possibly the most
utterly elegant MUD server out there.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.