[MUD-Dev] Re: MAPPING: Creating a bitmaped graphic from map

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 23 23:40:09 CEST 1998

On 23 Apr 98 at 18:25, J C Lawrence wrote:
> Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  Good answer.  Also GIF format is already HTML browser
> > supported and not only that, one might do away with tables and have
> > the server dynamically generate a hotspot graphical map.
>
> Quite.  It would be fairly trivial to back the graphic with an
> imagemap.  After a little research I suspect that PNG might be a much
> better way to go.  It doesn't have the patent questions that GIF has,
> and looks to be both smaller/more efficient sa well as a more direct
> translation from his storage formats.

I've just sent John a piece of C source that generates fractal maps
and converts them into .GIF format.  It's an older format GIF-89 and
appears to be free of restrictions.  It does display nicely in my
mostbrowser.  If anyone else is interested drop me an E-mail.  I've
enclosed an attachment of a sample .GIF that it generated (8K).

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.