[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Development Digest

Thu Apr 23 08:21:10 CEST 1998

[Ben Greear:]

:I wonder if this applies in Java?  Since it is already managing
:all the memory, I'd bet it does (or will) provide heap defrag.

I'm much more cynical. My guess is that most Java Virtual Machines do
well to accomplish garbage collection (note that many do not garbage
collect threads), and do nothing in the way of compacting. They
probably don't track pointers to be able to do so. Nothing is mentioned
about compacting in the Virtual Machine book.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.