[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Development Digest

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Apr 22 19:54:35 CEST 1998

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Apr 1998 07:04:14 PST8PDT
> Cat <cat at bga.com> wrote:
>
> > I presume the comments about disk-based muds running faster than
> > memory-based ones are including the tacit assumption that one is
> > talking about muds that don't have the option of running on a
> > machine with a large surplus of RAM?
>
> Yes, but only just.
>
> Aside: I've done a lot of work on large RAM machines (the machine I'm
> typing on now has 256Meg RAM, which is piddley compared to the 32Gig
> RAM sitting behind me).

FYI:  got 64MEG for $89, including rebates.  A one gig machine
is no longer that big of a leap.  Of course, I'll need to write
something to use all this wonderful space :)

[snipped good args about heap management]

I wonder if this applies in Java?  Since it is already managing
all the memory, I'd bet it does (or will) provide heap defrag.

Anyone got any info on this?

Ben

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.