[MUD-Dev] There can be.. only ONE!

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 14:54:24 CEST 1998

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:36:38 PST8PDT
> Matt Chatterley<matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:27:02 PST8PDT Matt
> >> Chatterley<matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
>
> Thought:  Possibility of dividing team kills among members?  Straight
> division of kill count by membership poses obvious problems (I join
> successful team and then go hide for the duration:  I still profit.).
> Possibly divving or awarding kills among all team members within a
> radius defined by the victim's score?

See LucasArt's X-Wing v. Tie Fighter.  Outright kills (all damage upon
victim inflicted by player) is assigned as per usual.  Assists are any
kills where the player has inflicted at least a third.  Three kills and 7
assists is show as 3(7).  Yes, it does mean there is a chance of more
assists than actual kills but it does work well, imho.  Though if players
are allowed to heal, this system might go pear-shaped.

> > The system will certainly be coordinate based, and may or may not
> > use a custom client (completely undecided - the first incarnations
> > will probably work with any telnet-happy thing). My next question,
> > or issue to resolve relates to how to tackle placing players when
> > they enter the game - from a safe room into random coordinates?
>
> First thought: Throw the players into the game at a couple miles of
> altitude.  Give them crude trajectory controls.  Have impact/landing
> generally not be fatal (or if fatal, non penalising).  this gives the
> new player an instant physical world context.

Parashooting with 70 lbs of combat equipment is reserved for the extremely
lucky, gullible, insane - or rather talented. :)

[snipped]

> > Yeah. This would work nicely. Give them tools, let them build their
> > own teams / organisations.

Team work in muds? ;)

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org