[MUD-Dev] Character development [was Re: ]

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sat Apr 11 11:49:31 CEST 1998

Marian Griffith wrote:

> On Thu 09 Apr, Travis Casey wrote:
> > On Thursday, 9 April 98, Vadim wrote:

[skipped]

> Mages of course could well have ways to ensure that expelled members
> lose all knowledge of  (or at least the power required with)  skills
> learned at the guild. Fighters could go to the extreme of removing a
> hand  but in reality that was hardly necessary.  The real punishment
> of being expelled from a guild was losing its backing.

There's a subtle difference between being expelled from the guild and
leaving it voluntarily - and it should be handled differently.

> > What if characters who left a guild could keep the powers gained, but
> > were supposed to give up using them?  Those who didn't give them up
> > would be considered to have defied the guild and become renegades.
>
> Like you said, some skills are hard to give up upon leaving a guild.
> Perhaps the guild would,  if the renegade keeps a high profile, hunt
> down and permanently remove him.

Now, this is a perfect idea. Let's just make it 'try' to permanently
remove him, because, well, we all know about the mafia's rule - one
dollar to step in, one hundred to step out - although, the rules may be
different for different guilds...

> > Of course, some sort of limits would be needed -- you probably
> > wouldn't want a character to go around and learn the powers of all the
> > different guilds.  Still, this could add an additional roleplaying
> > dimension to a game.
>
> The real need  is that guilds provide a more lasting service  to the
> players than merely training them skills. Food, shelter, protection,
> anything that a player can not forego  would do in this respect.

By the way, this is another way to provide the 'safe area' - I wonder
why nobody mentioned it before

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>