[MUD-Dev] Meta: who dat guy, wot dat web?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Tue Apr 7 15:33:12 CEST 1998

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:47:27 PST8PDT
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> From: coder at ibm.net

>> Truth to tell; by simple definition this is an implicitly elitist
>> society.  I'm also damned proud of that fact.

> Ok.  This is cool.  I can still keep my "oppressed huddled masses
> yearning to mud free" card, can't I?

We will have to consult with the thought police on that one.

> When you do make the web pages available, I would assume the
> existence of the list would be announced in Usenet.  If so, it might
> be useful to suspend subscription until the "lack of personal
> attacks and flammage" is readily apparent to viewers of archives.

Writing as list owner:

  <<Gadzooks I hate typing that.>>

  Not immediately.  Initially I expect to publicise the list in
the various mailing list lists.  Wait until that hubbub dies down, and
then move on to the web-based mailing list lists, until finally
hitting Usenet.

  Good point tho.  It may be wise to make subscriptions closed for the
first month or so...  I won't put that on the web pages tho -- just
have the list refuse subscriptions.

> This might also be an opportunity for you to assess the damage that
> will be inflicted on your machine by hundreds (heh) of ravenous
> archive readers.

Sooth.  It is not on a fast link (yet).

> We have had newer members come onto the list in
> the past with both fists up in a usenet attack or defense
> posture. (likely a learned behavior) This is likely to occur more
> frequently.

<nod>

> JL .wot dat sig go?

<Far be it from me to comment...>