[MUD-Dev] Re: [Fwd: MUD-Dev]

maddog at best.com maddog at best.com
Tue Apr 7 13:49:27 CEST 1998

Travis S. Casey wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998 coder at ibm.net wrote:
>
> [suggestions for dividing up the list deleted]
>
> Well, in my admittedly limited experience, mailing lists don't tend to
> have the problems with spam and low signal-noise ratios that newsgroups
> do.  Part of this is because of the differences in the kinds of people
> that newsgroups and mailing lists attract (mailing lists often attract
> those who don't want to put up with the spam and noise on newsgroups) and
> part is because it's easier to forcibly remove someone from a mailing
> list.

I've had a list for four years now and we rarely have a problem.  The last
time there was an issue was when "Olga" spammed a lot of the mail lists.
Since then I've restricted posting only from subscribed addresses and we
haven't had a problem.  My list is also advertised on my web page, so potential
spammers can easily find out about the list.  The subsriber list is also not
available to non-admins so no one can go in a make a spam list.

frank