[MUD-Dev] Persistant storage.... My current idea.

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Sat Apr 4 19:01:57 CEST 1998

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Ben Greear:]
>
> Off topic, I know, but...
>
> :Here in phoenix:  around $40 a month for a cable modem, around 1 Mbps
> :average it seems..both ways!
>
> Both ways??? What brand and type of modems are they? The reason I ask
> is that cable modem access should be coming to my neighbourhood this
> month, with some new modems that have upped the outgoing rate to 64Kbps,
> which is a long way from 1 Mbps. I'd *love* to have 1Mbps, since I want
> to run a MUD, ftp server, etc.

I did some more searching for my own amusement.  Looks like they won't
be ready in my neighborhood for about a year...  The modem's are made Bay
Networks..can't remember the exact name, Lan-something.

Here's the cable co's FAQ page:

http://www.phx.cox.com/internet/cox@home/faqs/modem/

Looks like the modem can do 10Mbps both ways!!  The theoretical max of the
cable seems to be around 30Mbps down, 10Mbps up.  However, that said, I
seriously doubt you'd approach that.  I've had a hard time finding real
numbers here..and would be interested if you saw any...

> --
> Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html