[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Maddy maddy at fysh.org
Mon Sep 29 14:40:30 CEST 1997

Previously, Travis Casey wrote....
> clawrenc at cup.hp.com <clawrenc at cup.hp.com> wrote:
> >What is wrong with:
> >
> >  > get rock
> >  Do you want the:
> >    1) stone
> >    2) pebble
> >    3) gem
> >    4) boulder
> >    0) Cancel command
> >  >

> >?
> >
> >No ambiguity, simple interface, obvious, easily learnable,
> >predictable...
>
> The "cancel command" part seems to imply a modal interface, which can be bad
> in a time-intensive situation, such as combat.  Also, this could be annoying
> if the command was typed by accident... for a somewhat silly example:
>
> The orc draws his sword!
>
> > weld sword
> Do you want to weld the:
>   1) long sword (in scabbard)
>   2) two-handed sword
>   3) short sword
>   0) cancel
>
> The orc attacks you!
>
> > wield sword
> I'm sorry, that isn't one of the options.
>
> The orc strikes you with his sword, cutting your arm!
> You swing a fist at him, but miss.
>
> > 0
> Command canceled.

With a system like this I'd expect (at least if it was one keypress) the
interface to switch into mode-char so you didn't need to press enter, but
that is just an aside.

I think such a system would work far better if it was....

    >weld sword
    Do you want to weld the:
    1) long sword (in scabbard)
    2) two-handed sword
    3) short sword
    >wield sword
    [Canceling weld menu]
    You wield the sword.

Namely that if you type something which is not a valid option, it's assumed
that it's another command and you want to cancel.  This (in my mind) works
more along the way that players type.  If they make a mistake - they quickly
retype (usually with the same mistake) the command.

Maddy