[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is supposed to be playing, anyway? (Was: PK Again)

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Mon Sep 29 12:48:33 CEST 1997

In <01BCC90B.DAB6AF40.caliban at darklock.com>, on 09/25/97
   at 08:12 AM, Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> said:

>Potential problem: player takes really good character and goes out
>gathering really good equipment. Leaves equipment and a lot of money
>in the  barracks. Character goes out and gets killed. Player makes
>new character  and gathers up nifty equipment and piles of gold. *Is*
>this a problem? Is  it any less of a problem if player has a friend
>whose character gives him  that same stuff out on the street? Is that
>somehow prohibited?

Nope, all of these are examples of good, even encouraged forms of
play.  Then again, possession of powerful EQ tends to do more to
hamper a character than over the longer term than help it for me.
Actually using powerful EQ OTOH can be extremely useful.  Want to
really give a newbie character trouble?  Give him some great EQ.
He'll do himself in after that.

Add in the fact that powerful EQ tends to self destruct before too
long, even more quickly if it is used, and excessively quickly if it
is anywhere near other powerful EQ... and the good toys collection
method of play mostly means you end up with a lot of dust.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com