[MUD-Dev] A place of my own

Maddy maddy at fysh.org
Fri Sep 26 14:28:35 CEST 1997

Previously, Shawn Halpenny wrote....
> On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> [ players having someplace to hang their hats]

> > What can a player keep there, how about a family, spouse, kids,
> > brothers, sisters, parents?
>
> Anything.  There's no reason a player couldn't have a family.  The
> question becomes "how does this player that just built a house get a
> family?"  Buying one seems rather awkward, but so does deriving one
> from a generic family object (and how would that sort of thing be
> represented in a mud world--for me, I suppose a possible out is that
> they are cloned or grown in a vat because those sorts of things are
> perfectly reasonable in my scenario).

Well if you go along with the virtual population idea, you could already
have a family somewhere.  You just have the problem of bringing them into
the world at the right time.

As for the other stuff well I'd like the idea of players having places to
live, it gives you yet another way of measuring their status.  Rich,
powerful players will have large expensive houses and vast numbers of
servants.

Maddy