[MUD-Dev] OT: Usability and interface

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 25 23:34:43 CEST 1997

On 23 Sep 97 at 8:51, Adam Wiggins wrote:
[JL wrote]

> > I strongly disagree with both of these views. There's a point where
> > playing the other side of issue becomes both an irritant and wholly
> > unproductive.  It may lead one down a convulated avenue of reasoning
> > that "common sense" dictated you shouldn't explore in the first
> > place.  This could be especially damaging if you are new to a given
> > area and find yourself agreeing with the one playing a particularly
> > devious devil's advocate.  This could be a source of misinformation,
> > embarassment or even ill-feeling if one is led logically step-by-step
> > into an indefensible position or unproductive design decision.  It's
> > also a waste of list members' time to lead them into reading a
> > particularly engaging argument that the poster merely meant as an
> > illustration of a dumb position or satirization a valid position.
>
> Yes, there is 'a point'.  This is an extreme, though.

This post was intended as satire of itself. ;)

I was merely playing devil's advocate to the pro devil's advocacy
argument.

I thought it was funny. Now I'm not so sure after rereading
it since I made some hard-hitting points.

StartLoop.
  say PLUGH!
  It's real dark in here.
  You have been eaten by a Grue.
EndLoop.

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.