[MUD-Dev] Affecting the world

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 25 13:17:44 CEST 1997

On 24 Sep 97 at 8:39, Chris Gray wrote:
> [Jon L:]
>
> :Consider the following example position given abilities:
> :
> :position - King of Argos
>
> [deletia]
>
> Cool! (Ghod I hate that word :-) ) Things like that can really make the
> world seem more real/solid/physical. Are there many things like that that
> other positions come with? I realize that they all take implementation,
> but I would guess that once you had done a few, many of the tools would
> be re-usable for others.

Nod.  It's very implementation specific or unique.  I'm certainly
attempting to find generic abstract functionality and reusable
components for this type of game.  There are components which are
common to seemingly unrelated positions. All of the commands above
could be used for head priests, guild leaders, but with slightly
different details.  For instance a guild leader can call meetings
(feasts), order fees (taxes) and issue declarations (proclaim) to
guild members and the head priest can call rituals (feasts), order
tithing (taxes) and issue calls (proclaim) to worshippers.

Some common points -
    out <message>
reciting out <sermon>
telling shopkeeper <message>  (traditional medieval guild impl.)

king's taxes - <tax collectors and guards> move to <list of
buildings> demanding <x gold> -> loop over until done <list of
non-payers> saved for some purpose.
priest's tithe - <clergy> move to <list of buildings> asking for
<x gold> -> loop if forced tithe or once only <list of
payers|non-payers saved> for some purpose.
guild's fees - <guildsmen> move to <list of member shops> asking for
<x gold> -> loop until done <list of non-payers> saved for some
purpose.

I would imagine many different positions have very similar activities
although varying scopes of control.  These are very "early" thoughts
on this BTW.

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.