[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 21 22:16:09 CEST 1997

On 19 Sep 97 at 9:49, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> [Miro:]
>
> > We reserve the right to choose our player base. My own choice excludes
> > 12 years old, on the grounds that IMHO a MUD can't host 12 years olds
> > together with a reasonable number of mentally sound 30 years old and I
> > choose to favor the latter group. YMMV.
>
> Well, I think most of us prefer an adult (meaning mature) playerbase.  The
> players may be any age; all that matters is how they conduct themselves.
> (Which is why I've always liked interaction on-line; when I got my first
> 300 baud modem I was about 12, and I found that if I didn't tell anyone
> my age, people just treated me how I acted, instead of making assumptions
> about my mentality.)

There might be some ISP legal obligations involved with such a
decision.  I have encountered mud sites where you were required to
answer a question that you were 18 years or older.  Even
acknowledging the fact that enforcement is nearly impossible, age
discrimination is certainly codified in many countries.

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.