[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Sun Sep 21 18:44:11 CEST 1997

[Caliban:]
> I *do* have a tendency to be defensive. It's one thing when someone says
> 'hey, what about X', and it's another when he says 'hey, you're wrong'.
> Just like in RL, when you have one guy who wants to have an intelligent
> conversation and another guy trying to whack you over the head with a
> brick, you tend to deal with the guy holding the brick a bit sooner.
> Admittedly this sometimes makes me look like an argumentative jerk, but
> then again maybe I am. ;)
>
> I also tend to be of the opinion that some of the most interesting
> conversations come from people playing the Devil's advocate. Many times
> people who attack your arguments from all sides are actually trying to
> see how well thought out it is, and determine whether this is a casual
> off the cuff concept or a real well-considered opinion.

Yes; this is the part of the 'point' of posting to the list.  It's putting
your idea up on the auction block - everybody who cares to can poke it,
prod it, stare at it straight in the teeth, and examine it from angles you
never even thought of.  The idea being that any idea which is less than
robust will be ripped to shreds and re-assembled in a better form.  If
you idea manages to stand up to the virtual shake-down from the list
members, you can be pretty sure that it's rock solid.