[MUD-Dev] PK again (was: Character evolution)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 21 15:34:07 CEST 1997

On 18 Sep 97 at 5:25, Maddy wrote:
> Previously, Marian Griffith wrote....
> >
> > That will prevent the mild cases. But the truly obnoxious (insert your
> > favourite expletive) player is going to just write off a character and
> > create a new one. Short of sitebanning nothing is going to stop those.
>
> The problem with sitebanning them, is that
> a) it's probably what they want - I've seen people who have wanted to get
> their site banned from muds & talkers, because they don't like other people
> at their site using them.
> b) how do you determine if Boffo the player killer, is really just a jerk
> and is killing people to piss them off, or whether he's just playing an evil
> character.

There's a wide range of server capabilities that can be implemented
in addition to an on/off for a given ip or ip mask.

You could disable character creation on demand from a given site/site
mask allowing existing characters to continue to play.  You could
require manual approval from selected sites.  One could implement a
system like Coldcore where players receive a password automatically
via email.  Another words the can't play without giving you a valid
email address.  This gives you a little bit of leverage for major
repeat offenders since you have a chance to let their postmaster/site
admins deal with them.

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.