[MUD-Dev] PK again (was: Character evolution)

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri Sep 19 15:00:02 CEST 1997

In <Marcel-1.26-0917192929-b49Ky&5 at Gryphon.knoware.nl>, on 09/17/97
   at 11:53 AM, Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> said:

>In my thinking PK is not a problem with abilities but with mentality.
>That means the prevention should be handled through administration
>rather than through the code. A game mechanic that makes fighting
>other players dangerous is not going to deter unstable or plain
>obnoxious players.

This echoes a mantra of mine back in the early days of the CC: list:

  "Thats a social/Admin problem, not a technical problem."

>That will prevent the mild cases. But the truly obnoxious (insert
>your favourite expletive) player is going to just write off a
>character and create a new one. Short of sitebanning nothing is going
>to stop those.

Which of course begs the question of whether they should be stopped by
the system, or whether the game's internal mechanics should
behaviourly discourage such.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com