[MUD-Dev] PK again (was: Character evolution)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Sep 13 15:53:25 CEST 1997

On Sat 13 Sep, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> > From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com

> > The blast doesn't directly kill them, but the resulting changes in the
> > environment do...

> > So, a PK'er can not directly kill a Non-PK'er, but they can alter the
> > environment in such a way that the Non-PK'er dies?  How is that any
> > differnt from a slightly more complicated way of putting a sword thru
> > the Non-PK'er?

> I think JC's point was that it's impossible to determine what makes something
> a PK or not.  As most experienced mudders know: if it's possible to die
> via game mechanics on a mud, it is possible for others to kill you.  Never
> mind if they can hurt you directly or not; this only rules out 'honorable'
> methods of attack.

I thought we more or less concluded that this was a  agree to disagree
subject?
My opinion on it though, is that what makes something PK is the inten-
tion of the attacking player.  What upsets people is unprovoked attack
not accidental death.  I have been killed on muds through stupidity of
other players. That didn't matter because it was an accident. And I've
been, well not attacked because I do not play games that allow killing
of other players,  followed by players who intended to make themselves
to all other players. The intention was there and only the non-PK rule
prevented them from outright fighting  but they did everything else to
make life miserable to others.  It is the mindset that counts, not the
act that is the result.

[slightly convoluted examples snipped]

I would hesitantly say they are indeed attempts to PK, though the victim
is unable to tell. I'm not sure if it matters though.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey