[MUD-Dev] New topic: AI and NPCs

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Sep 11 13:36:06 CEST 1997

In <3.0.3.32.19970906001927.03b09220 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 09/06/97
   at 12:19 AM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>At 12:00 AM 9/6/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:

<sigh>

>>I've thrown horses.  Its not terribly difficult and doesn't require
>>immense strength.  The big requirements are speed and height -- short
>>front shoulderblades.  Done right, the front leg will not be able the
>>come out and brace and will instead fold to prevent injury.  The
>>result is that the front of the torso will start to fall.  As you lead

>This sounds more like a joint-lock applied to bringign the horse down
>then a true throw.

Not really.  I'll readily admit its not really much of a throw, more
of a trip or Tai Chi/Akido-like imbalance trick (loss of track of
centre).

>A simialr trick can be done witha wrist lock where you can bring a
>person to his knees very quickly and easily., but its a lock, not a
>throw.

Also known as the come-along hold.  No.  The horse throwing technique
described above does not involve bending or constraining a joint to a
painful or inflexible position.  Instead the horse is lead to
imbalance himself, and thus falls over.  Done right there is very
little force involved.  Speed is required to outpace the horses
reaction time however as the horse can move to prevent the throw.

A simple comparitive for humans would be my standing on your right
foot, pulling you towards me such that you took a step with your left
foot, and then giving you a slight push sideways.  Its easy to do
(even without standing on your foot), and you will fall, pulled over
by your own weight.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com