[MUD-Dev] Mud Games

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sun Sep 7 10:54:37 CEST 1997

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:48:59 PST8PDT, "Jon A. Lambert"
> <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >Taber tossing,
>
> CABER tossing.
>
> >Take the simple(?) case of a character racing event.
>  [...]
> >What's the player FUN quotient here?
>
> In my opinion, as a player? Virtually nil, which is why I'm not
> addressing any of the other questions. :P

Ahh, but is it? Think of the number of automated things which are taken
for granted on muds - most of these are sideline things, right, because
they involve no player interaction?

If there is a way to create 'racing' but keep the players interactive
(perhaps by letting them take shots at each other as they go around, or
pacing themselves with a speed control - maybe even lane-changing or
trying to cheat and get away with it in a fair environment), then it can
be fun.

Otherwise, as i just said in a previous post, it'll be more interesting to
bet on the outcome, than to participate.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"In space, you never know when to expect danger.. except when an
Enterprise away team beams down on a routine mission." -Greg Proops