[MUD-Dev] Level abstractions - Realism vs Game Issues

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Thu Sep 4 12:34:37 CEST 1997

At 04:34 AM 9/4/97 PST8PDT, Adam wrote:

>[Martin K:]
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
>> > I'd suggest that human players do enough reflexive and reactive
>> > thinking in situations of MUD-stress to satisfy that need (I've seen
>> > players hurl their bodies out of their chairs when killed, faces drawn
>> > and white, far too close to adreniline shock for comfort).  Given
>> > that, wouldn't coding it into the MUD characters tend to prevent the
>>
>> Two guys I know (who run the Australian ISP where my dubious webpages
>> reside) were playing some beat-em-up coinop game against each other in an
>> arcade. All four hands were at the controls, furiously twiddling away,
>> eyes transfixed on the huge screen in front of them. The difference was
>> that one stood stock still, his only motion being with his fingers,
>> whereas the other was heaving his body from side to side with every punch.
>
>Yes.  Go into any arcade and you'll notice this.  More common is with
>first-person games with motion people will lean into the turns.  Hell,

Interestingly enough thought the guy whos bosy is stock stil migth ACTUALLy
be deeper invovled in the simualtion.

There is a well documented phenoenon called "video trance", which is baicly
the same phenomenon as beign "in teh zone" in sports or the "be the arrow
and the target' of the zen archer (or "be the skeet" of skeet shooting for
anyoen whose doen much of that.)

When in vdieo teracne the tarcner loses tarck of their bod yand all other
nonesseential stimulus and is reacting at an almost instictive levelas  if
thery 'were" the sprite of the screen.

The highest scoring players can and do all do this.

(I worked for a year in an Arcade fixing machiens and babysittign teh
players when I was much younger.)

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer