Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting.. [was AI and NPCs]

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed Sep 3 23:47:22 CEST 1997

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> [Matt Chatterly]
> >On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Ola Fosheim Gr=3DF8stad wrote:
> >> [Jeff]
> >hes
> >>=3D20
> >> As I said, if I recollect correctly mostly defence. No punch and kicks
> >> (except for training defence), but fetching kicks, getting out of hold=
> >> and holding.
>=20
> Just want to add that it covers stuff like getting rid of knives, dealing
> with multiple attackers (I remember something about up to 3).  From what
> I've heard from other people, jiu-jitsu can be more painful (bending join=
ts
> till the attacker is frozen and cannot move because moving means pain) th=
an
> Judo, but I suspect that may be wrong. There is probably lots of stuff on
> the web on this though.
>=20
> Knowledge from Jiu-jitsu could of course be used in attacks (you would
> be banned from training if you used it in a fight you started), but in
> RP the mindset would fit a pacifist better than an agressor :)

Yes, I suspect so - Jujitsu seems very much 'active defence' to me, as
opposed to 'passive defence' and/or 'active attack'. Turning the energy
that an opponent sends to you in attack form into 'offensive defence' fits
under the active package quite nicely.
=20
> I guess it could be used successfully in a MUD as an option for players
> who are against PKing by principle.  I'm very interested in the affect
> of the hold-concept in MUDs.  Have anyone got some experience with that?
> What are the problems?  By "holding" I mean things like capturing and
> dragging a person to jail, a maze or whatever.

Not just PKing - killing in general. There is no need to always draw a
line between PCs and NPCs here, sometimes it is advantageous to - other
times it is not. I'm collecting thoughts on 'PC imprisonment' at the
moment, others may be better placed to respond.
=20
> >end of the spectrum, and K(G)ung Fu, which settles somewhere around the
> >middle between the two sides (but has a far deeper spiritual and mental
> >element, and mindset).
>=20
> Then there are the more exotic forms that is more like dancing with
> swords (don't remember the name, not common, not many practioners)

I know precisely which one you refer to - but not its name! The base is a
stance involving a basic swaying rhythm, and the whole art resembles dance
very much so, making it extremely fluid, rhythmic and effective.

My real interests at the moment lay in implementing some of the ideaology
and spiritual elements of Shaolin (style) Gung Fu into a 'class' (word
loosly used to define something such as 'Shaolin Monk' as being a class),
rather than just the oft seen physical elements.

Regards,
=09-Matt Chatterley
=09http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"In space, you never know when to expect danger.. except when an
Enterprise away team beams down on a routine mission." -Greg Proops