[MUD-Dev] New topic: AI and NPCs

Wed Sep 3 23:25:53 CEST 1997

[Matt Chatterly]
>On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>> [Jeff]
>> >Yes I knew this much. Judo is the sport form, Jujitsu is a amrtial art.
>> >But is Jujitsu just throws and holds like Judo or does it also have punc=
>hes
>> >and or kicks?
>>=20
>> As I said, if I recollect correctly mostly defence. No punch and kicks
>> (except for training defence), but fetching kicks, getting out of holds
>> and holding.

Just want to add that it covers stuff like getting rid of knives, dealing
with multiple attackers (I remember something about up to 3).  From what
I've heard from other people, jiu-jitsu can be more painful (bending joints
till the attacker is frozen and cannot move because moving means pain) than
Judo, but I suspect that may be wrong. There is probably lots of stuff on
the web on this though.

Knowledge from Jiu-jitsu could of course be used in attacks (you would
be banned from training if you used it in a fight you started), but in
RP the mindset would fit a pacifist better than an agressor :)

I guess it could be used successfully in a MUD as an option for players
who are against PKing by principle.  I'm very interested in the affect
of the hold-concept in MUDs.  Have anyone got some experience with that?
What are the problems?  By "holding" I mean things like capturing and
dragging a person to jail, a maze or whatever.

>end of the spectrum, and K(G)ung Fu, which settles somewhere around the
>middle between the two sides (but has a far deeper spiritual and mental
>element, and mindset).

Then there are the more exotic forms that is more like dancing with
swords (don't remember the name, not common, not many practioners)

Ola.