Idea: Hive-mind monster

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Wed Oct 29 23:13:25 CET 1997

From: yospe at hawaii.remove.this.edu (Nathan F. Yospe)
Newsgroups: rec.games.mud.admin,rec.games.mud.lp
Subject: Re: Idea: Hive-mind monster
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 10:54:47 -1000

garnax at texoma.spamela.net wrote:

:On Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:38:27 -0500, Sauron <dlove at kusd.kusd.edu>
:wrote:
:
:>i've been toying w/ programming something vaguely similar for the MU*
:>i'm creating. it leaned a little more towards the techno-edge (ie Borg

:I have thought some about programming a borg like race.. I ignored
: the horrible mistake they made in First Contact (although I
:realise they had to add that queen to make it possible for the good
:guys to win.. ugh..).. Anyway, I couldn't figure out any way of making
:it happen without having a central controller.. I could 'fake' it to
:seem to be queenless but that was inadequate..

Depending on what you are using to write this...

A non-realtime hive mind: information is exchanged and linkage occurs when
two members of the hive meet. The hive has a central information net that
can be accessed by any member, any member has full knowledge of the hive
to the time of last central unit contact.

Implementation: A time weighted neural net, with subnets capable of
wholescale dumps onto the main net (modular weighting method) and a
corresponding database of information, with access locked to subnodes for
any information not yet "dumped" to the main base... subnodes  that have
contacted other subnodes gain the key to that subnode to the time of
contact, and no further. Once a key has been dumped to the main database,
the information keyed is permanently added to the main database.

Advantages: Individuals may temporarily differ in opinion from the main
database, resulting in a POW slowly becoming a different character. Anyone
witnessed by a member of the hive doing something the hive may not agree
with has to immediately kill the member before the member  rejoins the
hive and communicates the information. The hive changes in "attitude",
provided that is the output of the neural net.

--
Nathan F. Yospe  | There's nothing wrong with being a sociopath. Getting
yospe at hawaii.edu | caught is the problem. Mad scientists are for real. I

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net