[MUD-Dev] OT: Usability and interface and who the hell is su

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 17 21:16:29 CEST 1997

On 15 Oct 97 at 9:37, coder at ibm.net wrote:
> On 06/10/97 at 09:17 PM, caliban at darklock.com (Caliban Tiresias Darklock)
>
> >And finally, the cost/benefit ratio sucks. When my keyboard breaks, I go
> >buy a new $15 keyboard.
>
> I spend ~$100 per keyboard if new, $$30 - $50 second hand.  Trackballs I
> typically spenmd about $30 - $40 for (I mostly get them at clearance
> houses), but I suspect that I'll slowly start getting some industrial
> trackballs which will run around the $200/ea range just to finally get
> something that I don't have to worry about or ever replace.
>
> I will *ONLY* use the old heavy tactile feedback, lound click etc IBM
> keyboards.  Its the closest thing I've been able to find to a Selectric
> typewriter yet.  I've been buying them up at auctions, yard sales, flea
> markets etc for a couple years now -- got about a half dozen spares
> stashed in the closet right now.  Want to get about another dozen or so
> (they're mostly out of production (only RS6K left)) before I'll feel safe
> there.

Mega DITTOs *grin*. I will only use keyboards with mechanical
switches. I only wish I could plug an IBM 3180 keyboard into my PC.
This is one thing Big Blue did very very well.  Some of their
keyboards are pretty much indestructible.  I still encounter models
dating back to the late 70's in my work that work just fine.  I
haven't seen any good PC ones around lately.  At least the last time
I needed one, although I have heard some of IBM's PC keyboards have
been outsourced to a French company.  I sure would like to order one
if anybody has any info (at least the company name for a web search).
I currently use a Reveal KB-7601.  It's the bottom of the line in
mechanical keyboards at around $75 new.  I does have one advantage,
it has the proper tactile click while the mechanical sound is muted
just enough not to wake those who sleep instead of code. ;)

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.