[MUD-Dev] Reusable plots for quests

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Oct 2 14:50:00 CEST 1997

In <199709290456.3387600 at bedford.net>, on 09/29/97
   at 09:10 AM, "Brian Price" <blprice at bedford.net> said:

>Three or four years ago, I was working on a multi-plot interactive
>story/game.  While I never finished it, I did lay out the groundwork
>for such a system.  Some of the recent topics touched upon the desire
> to provide re-usable quests and those discussions reminded me of my
>earlier work.  Please bear with me, it is a bit rough and a bit long
>winded.

My writers reaction (I made my living for a short while writing short
stories) is that is not useful as it stands, and will only be usful
when it is mapped against the basic plot forms (boy beets girl, little
tailor, man learns a lesson).  It is the human interest of those plot
forms which drives and provides value to the node structure you
describe.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com