Java

Sun Nov 30 11:43:56 CET 1997

[Matt C:]

:Unsure on the validity of this, but:
:
:You can code a program in Java in such a fashion that it will run as
:*either* an applet or an application (so you could use the same code). Not
:sure if this lets you use Applet libraries in your application (probably
:not), but I can't believe the Application libs would be wholly without
:sound support. :)

[This is likely off topic, but I thought I should add what I know here.]

When you write a standalone program, it needs a 'main' in the class that
you startup. When you write an applet, you don't write a main - you are
triggered by a bunch of other calls from the applet code. I guess this just
means that if you want to be callable both ways, you provide both sets of
interfaces in your code, and the appropriate one gets used. As for sound,
I guess it depends on how much the sound functions use the applet reference
that they take. It could be that the Java run-time doesn't directly
support sound playing, so that functionality is borrowed from the browser.
I'll let you all know when I've learned more - exploring Java is just a
spare-time reading activity at the moment.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA