[MUD-Dev] Communication [was Introductions and..]

Mon Nov 24 11:47:06 CET 1997

Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
>Perhaps it is wholly more desirable to have a completely bifocal game,
>which has an RP side and an OOC/social side to it - this is something like
>what Richard is aiming to, with a login name that is *totally* abstracted
>from Character Names, and helps to define the difference between player
>and character to a good extent.

This seems to be very close to what I see as a perhaps desirable
solution.  Let the RP-world reside within (or next to) an OOC world
(with OOC avatars!). When you've done this you have to make an effort
to create a CULTURAL NORM that effectivly prevents OOC within the RP
enviroment.  That last part is of course difficult to achieve by
design alone.  Although, by making the OOC world bigger and more
exciting than the RP world it might be easier to achieve. (it might
seem more reasonable that the hardcore RP people's rules are respected
within a relativly small domain.)

Another solution is to have parallell spaces with natural transitions.

I don't think mixing OOC and RP within the same environment will work
very well for the RP players, wrecks immersion.

  - Oh Jesus, I hate lag!!
  - I don't know Mr Lag, and my name is Xrzx, not Jesus.

Ola.