[MUD-Dev] Communication [was Introductions and..]

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sun Nov 23 00:17:59 CET 1997

What execrable logic... but at least he can spell.

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:44:47 PST8PDT, Adam Wiggins
<nightfall at user1.inficad.com> wrote:

>Look, Caliban: this is akin to...

No, it's not. Argumentum ad populum ("playing the race card") and
extended analogy, equivocating inherent qualities (racial origin:
black/caucasian) with deliberate qualities (choice of game: MUD/MUSH),
therefore fallacious.

>A disclaimer does not justify ridiculous or insulting generalizations.

Ignoratio elenchi. It does, however, state specifically that I don't
want this turning into a codebase war. There are plenty of MUDs full of
intelligent people and plenty of MUSHes full of morons. So please, spare
me the list of MUDs that don't fit my description, because I readily
admit that *all* MUDs aren't like this, but my personal experience
(which, I might add, you are in absolutely no position to question)
indicates that a very, very large number of them are. I'd like to see
that change. I'd like to see games populated by apparent idiots dwindle
into a minority. I don't think it's the fault of the players. I think
there are some specific things we can do that will inspire the proper
changes in attitude.

>If you can manage to avoid making that kind of statement, then you
>avoid both firing up pointless discussions as well as making yourself
>look like a religious fool.

Fallacy of presupposition. The pointless discussion herein has no
bearing on the original subject (encouraging OOC social behavior on
MUDs), and whether I look like a religious fool is entirely subjective
and also without relevance.

Perhaps now that we've gotten that out of the way, someone might
actually think about what I said instead of questioning the idea that I
said it.

=+[caliban at darklock.com]=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=[http://www.darklock.com/]+=
"It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more
doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a
new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by
the preservation of the old institution, and merely lukewarm defenders in
those who would gain by the new one."                      -- Machiavelli
=+=+=+[We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams]+=+=+=+=