[MUD-Dev] A flamewar startingpoint.)

Fri Nov 21 08:12:29 CET 1997

[Ola F:]
:Why?  Day, night, time, seasons are different "everywhere" in the real
:world?  My original home-mud :) even involved all the planets in the
:solar system.	I don't see much problems in having one zone with
:daylight always, one zone with 1 earth hour is 1 real time minute, one
:zone with 1 earth hour is 1 real time hour or any other timing scheme.
:Actually it would be great fun, you could have "evil"-players
:constantly on the move, looking for night and moons or whatever.

Having different zones with different, but consistent, time rules isn't
a problem. The problem is if characters who are in contact with each other
can have different time flows. One of the examples someone gave earlier
was that of camping for the night. If you speed up passing time for those
who are camping, but not for a bunch of vampires wandering around nearby,
what time is it if the vampires walk into the camp? You can't cut short
the vampire's night just so the campers don't have to wait it out.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA