[MUD-Dev] Re: Introductions and descriptions

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Wed Nov 19 22:39:45 CET 1997

[Richard Woolcock:]
> Matt Chatterley wrote:
> > 2. Set up probabilities of occurance for each name, rather than making it
> > arr[random(sizeof(arr))] or something to that effect - this way you would
> > have more Johns than Naseems, which is probably realistic. ;)
>
> Or just put in lots of 'John's ;)  I've also wondered about matching
> forenames to surnames.  Armand Smith sounds pretty silly, for example.
> I've not really worried about it for now.

Oh, I should think that the names are listed by race.  That's most
of the fun in doing something like this.  For instance, on a Tolkien-based
mud (a very rich source to draw names from), you've got big lists of
first and last names for dwarves, elves, hobbits, etc.  In some cases
there may be overlap - between humans and hobbits, for example.

This also brings to mind that name generator that someone was working
on.  Can't remember who right off hand, but you defined the rules of
a given language/naming scheme and it spit out as many names as you
like.  Quite handy, I should think...