Dynamic room descriptions

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.comNOSPAM
Sun Nov 16 22:21:58 CET 1997

Hi again!  This message serves two purposes.  Firstly, I want to let
you all know that I have - finally - managed to get a phoneline installed
at my new flat, thus I am back online.  Secondly, I have a topic I wish
to discuss.

I have been working on trying to generate room descriptions, but they are
unfortunately somewhat limited.  At the moment, I get the following type
of thing:

The hallway
[Exits: (North) (East) South (West)]
You are standing in a hallway, which continues to the south.  To the
north, east and west lie closed doors set into solid iron walls.

(open all the doors)

The hallway
[Exits: North East South West]
You are standing in a hallway, which continues to the south.  To the
north lies an open door set into a solid iron wall leading into the kitchen.
Looking east, you spot an open door set into a solid iron wall leading onto
the staircase.  To the west an open door set into a solid iron wall leading
into the dining room can be seen.

This last description looks wrong, IMO.  The last three sentences are very
repetitive.  However, I can't really think of any way to get around this
without making the text confusing or ambiguous.  Now I know at least one of
you has worked on something similar because I saw a post ages back showing
a couple of sample room descriptions.  What I am interested to know is what
you did about things like the above.

Any theories - critical or otherwise - are more than welcome.

KaVir.

P.S: Although I have subscribed to the mudlist, I have not received
conformation back yet, so if you reply could you please CC me onto the
mail, thanx.