[MUD-Dev] games gender bias (Re: Affecting the world)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Nov 9 12:25:58 CET 1997

On Wed 22 Oct, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:

> >> I do agree that to obtain the same
> >> "attraction level" with genderneurtral activities is the best
> >> solution, but I'm not totally convinced that that will be enough in
> >> the long term.

> >On the contrary, for a game to be attractive to both male and female
> >players the only solution in the long run is that it is neutral with
> >respect to gender.  Currently muds are strongly geared  towards male
> >interests.  There are also games  that are less male dominated (e.g.
> >pern mush).  Currently there is no game (!) that I am aware off that
> >is strongly female oriented.

> But as there are game companies that are specificially targetting
> female buyers the competition will be there in a couple of years.  You
> don't want them to get your "customers", so that may eventually force
> others to follow.  I guess "totally convinced" was a bit strong... :)

I wonder if many girls are going to buy computer games. I've been
looking around a couple of shops yesterday and I can honestly say
that it is entirely unlikely I would.  I can not say that this is
the same for every other girl but I strongly suspect that there's
not much interest.  Just looking at all the games is scaring  and
hardly inspiring to try to find some game  that might possibly be
interesting to play.  After browsing through the first rack I was
definitely tempted to just run out and find something more inter-
esting. The only computer game I have is Myst and that was a gift
from somebody who knew I would like it. I never would have bought
it myself. So I am not sure that there will be games targetted at
girls anytime soon.

> Nothing wrong, just a bit limited.  And as computers will become more
> important -> affect the future etc...

> >Believe it or not, not all women enjoy to design clothing :) I do agre=
> >however that it would be nice to be able to walk around on a mud less
> >ridiculously in a mishmash of weirdly named armour.  A game where you
> >could purchase your own style of clothing would be fun,  but hardly a
> >reason to play it if it was the only thing to do on that game.

> Then again, there is few things in a mud that makes it worth the
> effort just by itself, in the long run.  So well, maybe I just agree
> with you about gender neutral activities, and say "let's add features
> that are genderbiased"...

Yes.  Now the next step is to take out the biggest gender biased
activity of muds and replace it with something slightly more ap-
pealing than fighting monsters or other players.

> >I admit not being terribly interested in computer games. They look all
> >the same to me and none too appealing.

> Yeah, but developing multiuser communities that lasts, is easy to use
> and attractive for a wide audience will unfortunatly cost a lot... :-/
> Or so I believe.

Maybe, I have no understanding of such things. My practical approach
would be to just start with it and see where you arrive at.  I would
do it myself but, well, I can't. All I can do is find people who are
interested in the same kind of things as I am and make suggestions.
*sigh*

> >Oh you know, you just want to make me write it...

> Yep.

*grin* Well I'm not going to ;)

Marian
--=20