Taming free PK

ashen ashen at pixi.com
Sat May 31 03:32:05 CEST 1997

: From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com
[summary: the less a game is RP-centered and more
 "powergamer" centric, a PK's problem fades in proportion]

: What I would like to see is constructive discussion of the game
: design issues on how to approach free PK in such a manner that
: the rest of the game remains balanced and slaughter-fests can be
: constrained.  Again, I attempt to handle this one via the side-
: effects of my other design decisions.

[summary: no global naming system, character not bound to body]

I take a similar approach.  While I believe a player should retain
the right to murder someone when they want to, they must be
willing to pay the consequences.  If someone is just being a total
ass-wipe and trying to ruin the game, the Roleplayers can just hop
into nearby powerful NPC bodies and (in the spirit of the game of
course :) take out the offender with no risk of personal loss.  The
RPers have no stats but their names (which is not anywhere but
the Who list) and thus have no personal stake in losing a body.

non-RPers are regular players bound to their bodies and whatever
self-rule evolves.  The only way to become one of the RP souls is
to apply (and thereby be screened for trust/maturity) after a certain
amount of time played.  Any situation escaping whatever system
of player law, can be affected indirectly by the gods, who can place
high bounties in certain scum hives or post Wanted posters on the
NPC law boards.

thoughts?
(if this is too Theme-Design and not enough DEV, let me know:)
-John (ashen at pixi.com)