[MUD-Dev] Resets, repops and quests

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Fri May 30 13:49:29 CEST 1997

clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> In <338d05d7.277223215 at neptune>, on 05/28/97
>    at 09:00 AM, alexo at bigfoot.com (Alex Oren) said:

> >I guess the kidnapped princess scenario could be tweaked so the orcs
> >will kidnap a different member of the community (could even happen to
> >be a player, social implications aside) and repeat the kidnapping
> >only after a long time (to replenish slaughtered troops) but what
> >happens when some high-level players team up, torch the orc village
> >and build a castle there?
>
> How about this:
>
>   The princess is prone to wandering.
>
>   The Orcs have periodic population explosions.
>
>   Wandering parties of Orcs tend to be attracted to buildings.
>
>   Should an Orc find the Princess she will be taken prisoner
>     and conveyed back to Orcish HQ.
>
>   Every time the princess has been captured, and remains captured
>     for some trigger length of time, a new quest has been created.
>
> The problem of Orcs being made extinct can be generally handled by
> engineering the world such that Orcs _can't_ be wiped out.  In my
> original model there were *always* inaccessable breeder orcs to ensure
> that the species survivied.

Curious...do you have resets (not necessarily in the traditional,
clunky, predictable sense), ChrisL?  Or perhaps resets just for
objects?  I can envision a sort of object factory, churning things out
that are somehow distributed throughout the world to shops or in
caravans, etc.--hmm, there's the seed of a reset scheme in there.
Actual breeding mobiles that repopulate a region?  I almost think you
must have it this way, given that you've stated (I'm too lazy to find
the exact message) that you're planning more of a simulation than an
on-the-fly construct.  I love the concepts in all that, just haven't
given thought to anything beyond the "object factories", since I'm
currently saddled with a semi-Diku-like reset scheme (ugh--put in those
words I'm forced to rethink it again...).

--
Shawn Halpenny

"You can't buy the necessities of life with cookies"
                                    - "Edward Scissorhands"