[MUD-Dev] Resets, repops and quests

Fri May 30 08:27:41 CEST 1997

[Todd L:]
:>When I was doing my little quests, the issue that come up is that of how
:>a given quest can be solved by different people at the same time. I was
:>not able to come up with an answer, and ended up being unsatisfied. One
:>of my entire areas shuts out other characters while one character is in
:>it. I don't like that, but couldn't see an alternative, given the nature
:>of the puzzle in it.
:
:>How *do* others out there solve this?

:This may seem terribly naive, but couldn't you just associate the status
:of the quest with the character instead of the mud?  That is, the bit
:flags are in the player structure.

Conceptually, yes, and I plan to do that for some quests I've got in mind
(add a computer store, and have a quest be solving "Adventure" on a
computer - I can't resist doing that, even if its a bit lame). For me
it isn't anywhere near as easy as a few bits, however - it is large
changes in the database, happening in many rooms, and involving a moving
NPC, for example. Also, there is the problem of two players seeing totally
different things in the same location, and then trying to talk about it.
With the computer-game approach, that isn't a problem, and is in fact
a feature.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA