[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Thu May 29 11:40:29 CEST 1997

At 09:35 PM 5/28/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>Marian Griffith wrote:
>>
>> Which is what I feel is what defines a roleplaying game from other games.
>> And I don't think that most games available realy qualify as roleplaying
>> at that; especially not the first person computer games full of guns and
>> monsters that are popular.
>
>I don't think anyone will argue about that... I may be wrong. They
>called 'Eye of the Beholder' a role playing game, and no one seemed to
>disagree very strongly.

Yer worng :)

A GREAT many pen and paper RPGers disagree strongly. In gfact we disagree
that the term CRPG is even correct, it mroe like C-munchkin-hack-n-slash.

As someone else said, there are no true CRPGS because conmputer cannot
roleplay, and true roleplay is a social process, one person can't do it alone.

I refer to muds as OLRPGS, or On Line Role Play games to differentiate.
Here ther IS soem Role Play possible, but it occurs between players.

>I think I'd modify that statement a little, to "if the game does not
>place an emphasis and importance on social interaction".
>
>A simple thought, perhaps a really bad one: perhaps the more traditional
>combat MUDs could encourage more social interaction by providing bonus
>experience to teams and groups?

not good enough.  If al lthey have to do is team up you will see about as
much roleplay as a Quake Clan (ie none).  Youa t LEAST have to make thena
ctually ACT as a coordinated team, by building a strong advantage to
coordinated action in your game.

This will get you so far, but only so far...  as for some obviosu reasonbs
moast roleplay usually happens outside of combat...

Lastly remember most combat-twinks are AFRAID to roleplay.  So much so that
they felel the need to denegrate those who do...

>> Many players would argue that playing with others basically distracts from
>> the game (and reduces the speed at which you advance through the levels
>> because you have to share your experience points with them).

Bad game design. People will natutrally act as loaners in thsis crewed up
20th c. america unless ther is a distinct ADVANTAGE to not doing so.
Building i na disadvantage just aggrivates an existing problem.

>I don't like powergamers. I don't want powergamers. And the more
>unattractive I can make my game world to the powergamer, the better I
>like it. ;)

Amen :)  Its not accident that the most destructive personalities show up
in the powergramer groups...  let em play Quake.

>This is not to say that powergamers are evil and should be slaughtered
>wholesale in nazi-style concentration camps.

Well, after a year of runnign a comemrical MUD Im beginnign to wonder...
A few questions:
(A) Wh oabuses bugs?
(B) Who hacks?
(C) Who actively drives other users from your game?

>> But I'm willing to try anything at least once.

Been there, done that.

JK