[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed May 28 10:38:34 CEST 1997

In <3.0.32.19970527122035.00acea0c at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 05/27/97
   at 08:38 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>Let me ask yall this...
>We're talking abotu death in my project now., originally Iw as of the
>attitude, being anold AD&D player "let em deal with the real rules...
>if yer under 0 you go unconcious, if yer under -10 yer dead, if ya
>don't make yer ressurectio nroll, tough luck.."

>HOWEVER there is a social problem in obnoxiosu playeronlien purposely
>tryint to hurtother players by killign their characters for no good
>Rp reason at all.

If you don't consider the violation of "true RP" a problem, then this
is less of a problem.  If you're not attempting to run (or enforce) a
solely immersive RP game, then I can see little reason to get upset at
the "for no good Rp reason at all."

>ONE suggestio nis to have yo uNEVER go below unconcious by damage
>doen by another player...  only mosters can outright kill ya.

Part of the player-value in PK is the awareness that the killer caused
a real and direct effect on another human.  Making the effect death
gives a certain permanence to the effect.  Making it merely
unconciousness (and probably the loss of various EQ etc) would seem to
encourage "baiting" (repeated taunting of a player by a PK'er who
keeps on knocking them unconcious).

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com