Important: Posting requirements

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Tue May 27 20:57:57 CEST 1997

Writing as the list administrator:

I've recently received a number of posts intended for the list which
did not get processed correctly.  The reason:

  The current incarnation of the list software does not correctly
handle multi-part MIME messages.  This is not something I can work
around right now without a *lot* of work.  I am working on it.

Def: A multi-part MIME message is a message that your mail software
(in its wisdom) has divided into multiple seperate messages, each
containing a fraction of the whole, before sending the bits acoss the
net.  The intention is for the receiving end to re-assemble the
various bits back into a single whole as if nothing had ever happened.
Why is this needed?  It is most useful when emailing large file
attachments or multimedia content.  Current mail softwares will break
such large blobs up into smaller blobs for easier and faster mailing.
Additionally many mail server softwares will process smaller blobs
much more quickly than a single large blobl of the same size --
speeding delivery time and reducing load on the mail servers.

How to fix?  Look in your mail software configuration for something
like Block Size, or  Maximum Segment Size, or similar, and set it a
bit higher.  32K is a good size, and one that happens to allign well
with many mail servers efficiencies.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net